Last Updated on November 17, 2022 by Mary Elle
Now, why would I compile a list like this…of reading quotes for kids?
Because reading is a fundamental skill. And one that no human being on the planet should be without.
Reading helps kids develop their brains and explore their imagination. And it gives those same kids a glimpse of the world outside their own immediate reality. Outside of their home town, city, state, or country.
So, Why Reading Quotes For Kids?
Because reading is that important.
And we need to inspire our kids to not only learn how to read but to keep reading. We need to inspire them to make reading one of their most important activities.
Because it matters.
So I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite inspiring reading quotes for kids.
Best Inspiring Reading Quotes For Kids
1. “Be awesome! Be a book nut!” ~Dr. Seuss
2. “Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” ~Dr. Seuss
3. “There are many little ways to enlarge your world. Love of books is the best of all.” ~Jacqueline Kennedy
4. “Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.” ~Mary Schmich
5. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ~Stephen King
6. “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” ~Margaret Fuller
7. “Reading brings us unknown friends.” ~Honore de Balzac
8. “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” ~Walt Disney
9. “Books to the ceiling, books to the sky. My pile of books is a mile high. How I love them. How I need them. I’ll have a long beard by the time I read them.” ~Arnold Lobel
More Favorite Reading Quotes For Kids
Here are some more great reading quotes. And while these quotes may be great for the kids in your life, they will also be very inspirational for adults too.
Because there is no age at which reading is NOT important!
10. “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.” ~Austin Phelps
11. “A book is a gift you can open again and again.” ~Garrison Keillor
12. “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” ~J.K.Rowling
13. “There is nothing more luxurious than eating while you read – unless it be reading while you eat.” ~E. Nesbit
14. “So please, oh please, we beg, we pray. Go throw your TV set away! And in it’s place you can install, a lovely bookshelf on the wall.” ~Roald Dahl
Reading Quotes For Kids That Will Make Them Think
Inspiring kids to read is important. But it’s also important to inspire them to simply think!
And if you can inspire them to think about what they just read, well, that’s a sure win. I think these will definitely make them think!
15. “To travel far, there is no better ship than a book.” ~Emily Dickinson
16. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. ~Dr. Seuss
17. “That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.” ~Jhumpa Lahiri
18. “Think before you speak. Read before you think.” ~Fran Lebowitz
19. “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” ~Jim Rohn
20. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” ~George R.R. Martin
21. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax all you need is a book.” ~Dr. Seuss
I hope this list of reading quotes for kids will inspire the kids in your life, and perhaps you, too!
I hope it inspires you to read today, read tomorrow, and keep reading and absorbing every single day.
Why Reading Inspiration Is Important
Do you know what the worldwide literacy rate is?
Seems high, right? But take a look at that data presented in a different way.
14% of the total population on the planet (over age 15) cannot read. They are illiterate.
And in certain countries, that number is exponentially higher.
The thought of large numbers of people being unable to read is heartbreaking to me.
Think of what they are missing.
This is why providing reading inspiration is so important. Even what might be deemed silly, such as a simple list of inspiring reading quotes for kids.
The sooner we inspire them to read, the sooner they will read.
It’s as simple as that.
So read today, read tomorrow, and keep reading and absorbing knowledge every single day.
Is this your first visit to Looks Like Books? If so, be sure and check out my About page so you can learn a little more about me and my Looks Like Books mission.
Are you a reader or a listener? Both are important skills! But if you happen to prefer listening to your books rather than reading them, then here’s something cool for you.