If you’re a fan of international thrillers and mystery books, then you absolutely need this list of Steve Berry books in order.
Because first of all, Steve Berry is your man for international thrillers! And if he’s not yet, you should definitely consider adding him to your list of favorite thriller writers.
But the thing is, there’s an order. A specific order to one of his book series, that is. I must admit that I insist on reading book series in the correct order. So, in my opinion, you’ve got to read the Steve Berry books in order to get the most enjoyment out of them.
Steve Berry Books In Order of Publication
But first things first!
Just in case you’re not already familiar with author Steve Berry, he is a New York Times internationally bestselling author of 21 novels (at the time of this writing.) His books have been translated into 41 different languages and sold in 52 countries. The books he’s written include 5 stand-alone novels, 16 books in the Cotton Malone series and several short fiction and original E-books.
If history is your thing, then you’ll be in good hands with a “Berry” book, because history is very much his thing too.
History, and interesting historical facts and events are what drives every Steve Berry novel. In fact, history is so important to this author, that he, together with his wife Elizabeth, created History Matters, a foundation that is dedicated to historic preservation.
It’s no surprise that Steve Berry gets all the legal details correct in his novels. He was a trial lawyer for 30 years. Steve Berry has won many awards for his writing over the years, and I have not doubt that there will be many more to come.
Steve Berry Books In Order
Ok, now to the important questions.
What is the order of Steve Berry books, and should Steve Berry books be read in order?
In reality, only the Cotton Malone series needs to be read in order. The other novels are unrelated so it really doesn’t matter what order you read them in.
So, here is a list of all the Steve Berry books in order of publication, but separated by the series type – either Cotton Malone or stand-alone.
Steve Berry Books In Order – Standalone Books
- The Amber Room – 2003
- The Romanov Prophecy – 2004
- The Third Secret – 2005
- The Columbus Affair – 2012
- The Omega Factor – 2022 (My Review)
Steve Berry Books In Order – Cotton Malone Series
- The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone Book #1) – 2006
- The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone Book #2) – 2007
- The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone Book #3) – 2007
- The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone Book #4) – 2008
- The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone Book #5) – 2009
- The Emporor’s Tomb (Cotton Malone Book #6) – 2010
- The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone Book #7) – 2011
- The King’s Deception (Cotton Malone Book #8) – 2013
- The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone Book #9) – 2014
- The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone Book #10) – 2015
- The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone Book #11) – 2016
- The Lost Order (Cotton Malone Book #12) – 2017
- The Bishop’s Pawn (Cotton Malone Book #13) – 2018
- The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone Book #14) – 2019
- The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone Book #15) – 2020
- The Kaiser’s Web (Cotton Malone Book #16) – 2021
- The Last Kingdom (Cotton Malone Book #17) – Coming in 2023!
Steve Berry eBook Originals, Anthologies & Collaborations
These books are a collection of anthologies, short stories and novellas, some of which are co-authored with another author, the most recent of which is author M.J. Rose.
Some of these novellas feature much-loved characters from the Cotton Malone series.
- The Balkan Escape – eBook original by Steve Berry
- The Devil’s Gold – eBook original by Steve Berry
- The Admiral’s Mark – eBook original by Steve Berry
- The Tudor Plot – eBook original by Steve Berry
- The Devil’s Bones: Cotton Malone vs. Grey Pierce
- The Devil’s Due
- The Museum of Mysteries – Steve Berry collaboration with M.J. Rose
- Past Prologue – Steve Berry & Diana Gabaldon (yes, of Outlander fame!)
- The Lake of Learning – Steve Berry & M.J. Rose
- The House of Long Ago – Steve Berry & M.J. Rose
- The End of Forever – Steve Berry & M.J. Rose
Whenever I put together something like this – the complete list of Steve Berry books in order – I begin to wonder how the author began their writing career.
Do you ever wonder about that?
Once the writer becomes a bestselling author, it’s easy to forget that they had to start somewhere, right? And the reality is that they most likely did not start out as a bestselling author.
My three biggest questions about how authors got started are usually –
- When did they start writing?
- How long did it take to get published and become successful?
- If they write a successful series with a well-known character common to all the books in the series (Cotton Malone), where did the idea for that character come from?
How Did Steve Berry Get Into Writing?
I couldn’t resist doing a little research to see how Steve got his start in writing.
So, all of you aspiring writers out there, don’t despair! It seems that Steve Berry experienced more rejection at the beginning of his writing career than you might imagine from someone who is now a bestselling author.
Apparently, Steve Berry wrote for years before he even landed an agent. That agent kept him for 7 years, until May 2002 when Ballantine Books bought The Amber Room. During those years 5 different manuscripts were submitted to publishers and those 5 manuscripts received a total of 85 rejections. On the 86th attempt, the book was finally published.
Most people would have given up long before Steve Berry did. I’m sure grateful that he kept going.
If you want to learn a little more about Steve Berry, you can read over his FAQ section where you’ll see a variety of information about Steve’s books and how he writes.
I hope this list of Steve Berry books in order will help you dive right into reading your next (or first?) “Berry” book.
You can see all the books written by Steve Berry here on Amazon’s Steve Berry author page.
Is this your first visit to Looks Like Books? If so, be sure and check out our About page so you can learn a little more about the Looks Like Books mission.
- All 20+ Louise Penny Books In Order
- Review: The Omega Factor by Steve Berry
- Review: Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Daniel Silva
- Book Review: Captive by Iris Johansen
- Review: The Enigma of Room 622 by Joel Dicker
- Review: The Diver’s Clothes Lie Empty by Vendela Vida
- Review: The Family Holiday by Shalini Boland
- Deanna Raybourn Books In Order [All 25+]
- Review: Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn
- Lee Child Books In Order [Complete List]
Last Updated on November 27, 2022 by Mary Elle